Testing Stadia on the road on mobile data

 My experience using my phone to play Destiny 2 on the road on mobile internet. A family member some time ago dragged me to accompany them to California, so I took that time to test out how to steam a video game on the road. Before I started my session, I ran a quick test on my mobile data speed (4g LTE), and at the time, I had a download speed of 87 Mbps which is more than enough to stream a game. Eventually, I would love to test it on 5g speeds to see if there's more improvement. Anyways, when I started my session, I didn't experience any issues. The game ran smoothly, and it was comparable to playing on a console such as a ps5. I was impressed... Until my phone had to jump from tower to tower. I noticed every time my phone would switch to a different tower. The game would be unplayable. I found out that the Stadia (streaming platform) platform will drop the quality first, so everything was blurry, playable, and enjoyable. It would increase the latency, which made playing impossible. When my phone was moved over to the new tower, the game snapped into place as if it had no problems whatsoever. It was fascinating experiencing this as it made me realize that mobile play only works when you're not in a car jumping from tower to tower. If I were in a stationary place, I wouldn't foresee any problems. Perhaps 5g might solve the issue since that bandwidth supports a more extended range. More testing is needed!






Comments

Popular Posts