Why you shouldn't create deepfakes living in Arizona

If you're looking to create deepfakes and you live in Arizona, find another hobby! I'm joking-ish! Over spring break I finally started practicing some deepfakes and one of the things you probably won't hear in any guides is how hot your room will get. When creating my first deepfake when all was completed my internal computer temperature was around 80C which is 176F and the outside seemed too far off. After my first video which was only a 1-minute video, it took over 8+ hours to process. You might be asking why is it so hot and why did it take 8+ hours. Well, I have some answers for you! 

To create a deepfake you first need two videos of the people you want to swap. It is usually best to find two people who look somewhat the same, in my case having long hair and a beard I decided to use WWE star Mick Foley from an interview he had with Conan O'Brien. The next step is to load up your deepfake software and prepare to have a rough time! The first thing you need your software to do is to extract each frame of the two videos and put them into two separate folders. This doesn't take too much processing power but will be the start of the long and hot journey. When I did my 1-minute video the software extracted almost 1,400 frames (individual pictures) from ONE video, remember this is something you have to do twice.

The next major step is to train the AI to blend the two folders of extracted frames and this is where the party beings(heatwave time)! When you're in the training phase what is happening is the AI is learning all frames and blending them together. Now imagine having to compare over three thousand frames(pictures) and match them as best as possible. This would be impossible for a person to do manually! Thankfully we have the power of AI to make this process a little "faster".  This is where your video card will calculate all the images and start to compare now this will cost you time, processing power, electricity(I don't want to see my electricity bill), and an output of heat constantly for hours.  

(Training the AI with all the images from the two videos & the right side is the stats of my hardware)

(Me having to delete every image that isn't Mick Foley)



Comments

Popular Posts